DESOTO ISD - PROCEDURES FOR PROCESSING A TX PIA REQUEST
In order to properly abide by the Texas Public Information Act, the following procedures have been established by the DeSoto ISD. If you have any questions regarding these procedures, please contact Beth Trimble, director of communications, at 972-274-8212 Ext. 205.
1. ALL TX PIA Requests for the DeSoto Independent School District must be submitted in writing to:
Beth Trimble, Director of Communications
200 E. Belt Line Road, DeSoto, Texas 75115
Phone: 972-274-8212 Ext. 205
Forms to be filled out are available in the communications office, as well as on the District’s Website, www.desotoisd.org
2. E-mail requests received by another employee or department are to be returned immediately to the requestor with instructions to submit the request officially to the department of communications. Requests received by mail or delivered in person, need to be taken immediately to the department of communications. Once an individual within the district receives the request it begins the time frame (approximately 10 days) in which we must operate to fulfill the request.
3. Upon receipt, requests will be date stamped and assigned a file number based on date (month and year), order received and requestors name/ organization (i.e. ORR-01-07-001-TEA ) and placed in a folder. The folder will have the date received and due date clearly noted.
4. The request information will be recorded into an Excel spreadsheet.
5. The request will be fulfilled by Beth Trimble, director of communications, by contacting the necessary district administrator for information and/or compiling and duplicating requested information. Requestors will be notified by the director of communications should there be any necessary correspondence between the district and requestor – such as charges for request, notice of additional time needed or that an Attorney General’s ruling has been requested.
6. In addition, the director of communications will be responsible for notifying third parties if their proprietary information is being requested from the DeSoto ISD.
7. Once the request has been fulfilled, withdrawn or otherwise completed all documentation will be filed by the ORR file number. In addition, the outcome and completion date will be noted on the spreadsheet for each request.
For complaints regarding failure to release public information please contact your local County or District Attorney. You may also contact the Office of the Attorney General, Open Records Hotline, at 512-478-6736 or toll-free at 1-877-673-6839. For complaints regarding overcharges, please contact the General Services Commission at 512-475-2497.