Welcome to the 2016-17 school year in DeSoto ISD. We are excited about another fantastic year across the district and hope you are as well. Below are many details for parents and students for the start of the school including uniform changes, important dates and school supply lists for students through grade 5. Older students will receive specifics for supplies after receiving their class schedules.
While all campus administrators are back to work Monday, August 1, many are attending training or tending to off-campus administration duties. Please leave a message or use e-mail if you have a question for the school.
The state's annual Sales Tax Holiday will be August 5-7, 2016. The Sales Tax Holiday gives Texas shoppers a break from state and local sales taxes on most clothing, footwear, school supplies and backpacks priced under $100. Shoppers can save up to $8.25 for every $100 they spend.
2016-17 School Calendar - Click Here
2016-17 School supplies for grades Pre-K-5 (English and Spanish)
2016-17 Middle School Basic Supplies
REGISTRATION – First day of school is Monday, August 22
Please Note: Registration is NOT complete until all documents are brought to school. These documents include:
- Original copy of Birth Certificate
- Immunization Records
- Social Security Card
- Report Card/Transcripts (If available);
- Proof of Residency (Current water, gas, or electricity bill
- Driver's License
General Registration Information
Parents should review the attendance zone maps to determine their assigned campus prior to registering via the district Website or at campuses. Please bring the following to register your child:
- original copy of birth certificate
- immunization records
- social security card
- report cards / transcripts (if available)
- proof of residency (current water, gas, or electricity bill) and
- parent / guardian driver’s license
New Student Registration (K-12 grades)
- Registration for students new to DeSoto ISD (PreK-12 grades)
- August 9-19 (Note: all campuses will be closed the morning of Wednesday, August 10 for Convocation)
- 8-11 a.m. and 1-3 p.m. at each campus
Kindergarten Registration - A child must be age 5 on or before Sept. 1 to enter kindergarten and age 6 to enter first grade.
Pre-K Registration - DeSoto ISD offers full-day Pre-K for eligible students at all schools. A child is eligible for Pre-K if the child is age 4 on or before Sept. 1 and:
- the family qualifies for free or reduced meal program (please fill out Child Nutrition application at 200 W. Parkerville prior to registering at school); or
- is unable to speak or comprehend English; or
- is a homeless child; or
- is the child of an active-duty member of the armed forces or child of an injured or deceased member of the armed forces; or
- has been or is in conservatorship of the state.
Selective Enrollment Application
RETURNING STUDENT INFORMATION
Students returning to DeSoto ISD must bring proof of residency at the beginning of each school year and have current immunizations on file at the school. Residency proof should be in the form of a current gas, electric or water bill. Immunization requirements are online for every grade. In particular, incoming seventh-grade students have new shots required. Click here for updated immunization information.
BACK TO SCHOOL – EVENTS
Students in grades 6-12 (and parents) are invited: orientation, schedules, ID photos, back to school parent packets, bus routes, proof of residency, shot records, etc.
- Tuesday, August 16 Last name A-F - 9 a.m.-noon; Last name G-L - 2-5 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 17 Last name M-Q - 9 a.m.-noon; Last name R-Z - 2-5 p.m.
DeSoto High School
- Monday, August 8 Juniors and Seniors
- Tuesday, August 9 Freshman and Sophomores
- Saturday, August 13 Make-Up Day, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Goals Nights - Join DeSoto ISD for the 2016-17 Goals Nights at each campus! Parents can visit with their child(ren)’s teachers, learn their class schedules, hear campus and district goals from administrators, and learn more about campus curriculum, activities, and expectations.
- Middle Schools - Tuesday, August 23 - 6:30-8 p.m.
- Elementary Schools - Wednesday, August 24 - 6:30-8 p.m.
- DeSoto High School - Thursday, August 25 - 6:30-8 p.m.
STUDENT DRESS CODE DeSoto ISD has a uniform dress policy for students in grades PreK-8 and guidelines for students in grades 9-12. Elementary and middle school students must wear white, forest green, gold, gray or black tops, spirit and college shirts. Bottoms must be khaki, black or DeSoto plaid.
High school students must wear clothing that fits with no holes/tears. Pants, shorts, skirts can be any fabric, color, and print. Tops can be spirit shirts, college shirts or solid-colored, collared shirts. Campus administration will have final judgment on all dress compliance matters.
Click here for more information about the Dress Code Policy
BREAKFAST AND LUNCH INFORMATION The DeSoto ISD makes nutritional breakfast and lunches available for all students. Menus are available at each school and online. Free- and reduced-meal programs are available for eligible students. A new application must be completed each year. Applications are online or in the Child Nutrition Office at 200 W. Parkerville Road. Click here for more information about Meal App NOW.
MEAL PRICES - 2016-17
- Breakfast - Universal FREE Breakfast for ALL Students
- Lunch - Elementary $2.55; Secondary $2.75
STUDENT ATHLETICS Seventh- through twelfth-graders are eligible to participate in University Interscholastic League (UIL) competitive athletics. All students must have physicals, parental acknowledgment forms, and emergency information on file before the first practice.
TRANSPORTATION SERVICES Transportation is available for students living two or more miles from their home schools. For more information, contact your school.
STUDENT CODE OF CONDUCT All DeSoto ISD students are expected to follow the guidelines of student behavior as outlined in the DeSoto ISD Student Code of Conduct. Click here for the complete Student Code of Conduct book.
INCLEMENT WEATHER / EMERGENCY ALERTS In the event or inclement weather, DeSoto ISD officials will notify the media prior to 6 a.m. on the day in question. In addition, the district utilizes a parent alert system to call and/or e-mail all DeSoto ISD families.